Thursday, March 7, 2013
Family Mexican Night
I am a mother. I have a vegan family to feed every single day, three times a day. PLUS SNACKS!! While my husband has great manners there is a certain 3 year old who has some serious opinions about the things she will eat. So, I am always on the lookout for foods that will please the whole family. Mexibake is one of those family friendly type meals.
1 can of vegan refried beans
1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 c veggie crumbles of our choosing
1 clove minced garlic
3-4 large button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 c of your favorite salsa
juice from 1/2 a lime
1 small tomato chopped
1/2 c vegan shredded cheese
vegan sour cream
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Pull out your favorite casserole dish and lightly oil.
2. In a skillet warm the oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the veggie crumbles, garlic, mushrooms, salsa and cook until heated through.
3.Add the tomato and lime juice. And cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Meanwhile, place two tortillas in the bottom, they won't fit perfectly and there will be some overlap. Don't panic, this doesn't matter at all. Slap those beans over the top and smear them in an even layer.
5. Pour the veggie crumble mixture on top of the beans and spread evenly. Top with tortilla chips.
6. Sprinkle with vegan cheese. I recommend Daiya as it melts.
7. Pop into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
8. Top with vegan sour cream, our recipe for guacamole, sliced olives and scallions.
Serve with chips and salsa and some Mexican rice and you have a meal that will please all!