nav

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Vegan Summer Lasagna

It is that time of year. You know, the time when you ask yourself, "WHY, why did I (or my friends and family) plant so many squash and/or zucchini?!?" It seems that this time of year I am always slammed from my own garden or the gardens of loved ones. I have a hard time turning away free food so I have to become a little creative with how I use it. Recently a friend bestowed us with a lot of yellow squash. I have used it in a variety of ways from breakfast scrambles to lasagna. My stomach is still uncomfortably full from tonight's lasagna. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Vegan Garden Lasagna by rooted-vegan.blogspot.com __________________
_____________
_______
Lasagna noodles, enough for two layers in your 9 x 12 casserole dish (I used 6, but I always make extra so I cooked 9), cook according to directions

Veggie Sauce
1 T olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow squash, diced
6 baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes in juice
1 can pizza sauce

For the tofu mixture
1 package of extra firm tofu, crumbled
4-5 basil leaves, shredded or chopped
1/3 c nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic, minced

You'll also need a bag of Daiya mozzerella shredded vegan cheese.

 1. While your lasagna noodles are cooking heat a large skillet over medium high. Add the oil and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
2. Once the onion is cooked add the garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring. Add the squash, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook for a minute or so.
3. Add the fire roasted tomatoes in juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the juice cooks off. Add the pizza sauce, reduce heat and cook for 3-5 more minutes. Set aside

Tofu Mixture
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. I enlisted my 3 year old to mush it all together.

Assemble the lasagna
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a lightly oiled 9 x 12 casserole dish add a layer of noodles. Cover with half of the tofu mixture, spread evenly.
3. Add half of the sauce mixture. Cover with vegan cheese.
4. Repeat layer of noodles, tofu. sauce, cheese.
5. Pop it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

2 comments: