Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Dark Hot Chocolate with Coconut Whipped Cream
I have a little disclaimer, this hot chocolate is dark and only for those who truly appreciate chocolate. I mean, if you simply like chocolate you'll probably like this too, but you could save yourself some time by squeezing vegan chocolate syrup into warm soy milk. This recipe is for the serious.
Vegan Dark Hot Chocolate
Since this is a Valentine's Week recipe I made it for 2, but this recipe easily doubles.
2 T cocoa powder
2 c vanilla almond milk (other vegan milk would work too)
1/2 c vegan chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla (more if you like)
pinch -o- salt
1. Warm the milk in a pot over medium heat.
2. Slowly whisk in the cocoa powder until it is well mixed.
3. Add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
Add the vanilla and salt. Serve hot with a dollop of coconut cream, recipe follows.
Coconut Whipped Cream
1 can of coconut milk, set in the fridge to separate the cream from the water
2 tsp agave
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Open the coconut milk and spoon out the thick white coconut cream into a mixing bowl. Discard the water or let your pe-schooler drink it like I did.
2. Add the agave and vanilla.
3. Using a handmixer, beat until fluffy. A minute or so.
4. Spoon into hot chocolate. We also use with blueberries, on pancakes, in coffee, etc.
Makes about 2/3 c