Friday, April 5, 2013
Vegan Skin Care
I have been given a lot in my life, but good skin is not one of my gifts. I started breaking out when I was 12, thinking that it would surely pass in a few years. Nope. Over the course of time I have tried so many different cleansers, regimens, etc. Nothing has cured me.
When I went vegan my skin improved dramatically, but I still got/ get breakouts. Instead of trying to burn away my pores with non-vegan potions I have opted to simplify my regimen. I now like to use gentle cleansers and exfoliants.
Homemade face masks are super easy and cost efficient! I have been making my own for years. Here are a couple that I use regularly.
2 Tbs coffee grounds
1 tsp agave
2. Apply, rubbing the grounds into your skin as an exfoliant.
3. Wash your face and feel invigorated.
Avocado and Banana Mask
1 Tbs avocado
1 Tbs banana
1.Mash it together and apply.
2. Let sit for a few minutes before wiping and rinsing.
3. Eat the rest of the avocado and banana...not the stuff that was on your face. I mean, you can, but don't tell people about it.
Toner is a great and simple kick in the pants to your pores. Most store-bought toners have harsh and drying alcohols. Why not try witch hazel? Just moisten a cotton ball with some witch hazel and rub over your face.
Body scrub is about the easiest thing you can make
2 Tbs vegan sugar, not finely ground
1 tsp olive oil
1. Combine in a small bowl.
2. Bring into the shower and rub yourself all over with the mixture, paying careful attention to rough or dry patches.
3. Rinse. The olive oil will keep your skin soft and supple.
Eye Make-up Remover
1 tsp olive oil
1. Dab a cotton ball with oil and rub on your eye make-up. Works like a charm.
Bonus, the oil keeps the sensitive skin around your eyes nice and soft.
All right, now go forth and cleanse!