nav

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Vegan Gift Guide $5-Priceless: Simple Gift Ideas for Vegans

Vegan Gift Guide $5-Priceless: Simple Gift Ideas for Vegans by Rooted Vegan

The first Christmas after I went vegan I was gifted with expensive leather gloves. Another year I was given a wool sweater, honey from the east coast, leather purses, etc. While I do appreciate the fact that the people in my life are just trying to give me gifts it sure is awkward when I have to make a return. I cannot keep those kinds of things in my life. I know others who don't see it as much of a problem, but for me it isn't something I can endure.

When I have been gifted with non-vegan presents I  absolutely don't make a big deal of it (time and place people). I thank the giver for thinking of me (even if they didn't really get the whole vegan thing) and then I return it later. Over the course of the next year I will touch base with the giver to ensure that they understand that I don't use any animal products. If they ask about a previous gift I am honest, of course, but I try to keep things low key and non-confrontational.

If you are on the other side of this it can be terrifying! If you don't have a complete grasp on the ins and outs of veganism you could make the wrong choice and inadvertently hurt someone's vegan sensitivities. Fear not! I have prepared a few gift ideas that the vegan in your life are sure to appreciate and in a variety of price ranges for gifts to give a casual acquaintance to something to give the vegan closest to your heart.

Vegan Gift Guide

$5-$15
Know a vegan with a green thumb? Grab some seed packets and a few pots, trowels, watering can, non-leather gardening gloves and you are all set!

Music loving vegan? I tunes gift card. Boom!

A bottle of vegan wine (here is a link to a great list of vegan wines)

$15-$50
Vegans love gift cards like anybody else. Why not seek out a gift card to a cool vegan shop. Might I recommend my friend and Vegan Superstar Sarah Kramer's Shop; just be sure to wait a couple of weeks as her shop is down while she recovers from surgery.

Vegan cookbooks are a great gift. There are so many out there, why not grab a few cookbooks, a vintage apron and some cute measuring cups?

$50-$100
Consider sponsoring an animal through a rescue. My husband adopted a Manatee named Elaine for me for Christmas. I am crazy about manatees so this gift made me cry with joy.

Vegan gift baskets can be prepared for you at Pangea's veganstore.com

Fruit of the month clubs! I'd recommend going organic.

$100- Priceless
Go vegan yourself. Your vegan friend, family member, etc. would be moved to tears.

Oh and what about a vegan vacation?!? Ahh, the vegan in your life would freak out. A trip to the city with lists of veg restaurants (happycow.net will help you find restaurants around the world).

Visit a sanctuary to volunteer, like Farm Sanctuary! Man sanctuaries have housing for volunteers from out of state.

Stay at a vegan Bed and Breakfast. I have always wanted to visit The White Pig.

Good luck!
~Maria Rose

1 comment:

  1. I am no longer vegan, but I have to say, I've always loved my woolens. The woman who gifts then to me has sheep of her own and she then sends it to a different artsy-type awesome woman to be made into the very wool she knits. I love that! I know the "sweater's" name, lol!

    ReplyDelete