nav

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Curried Tofu Sandwich: Introducing new flavors to kids

I grew up in mostly small communities and I never had the opportunity to try a curry until I was in my early twenties. For real people! I was determined that my children wouldn't miss out on years of delicious curries, that I would start them early. Imagine my dismay when my oldest daughter turned her nose up at her first curry, and second, and third, and----well you get the idea.

When I finally assessed the situation I realized that she didn't focus on the rich aroma or the gentle (always gentle for kids) heat of a great curry. She was focused on the big plate of sloppy veggies. She is all about texture and though she may be a vegan, some veggies freak her out. So I decided to find new ways to introduce her to the flavors, ways that she is more willing to try.

Below is a very versatile recipe for a curried tofu sandwich. I let my oldest daughter (she's 3) help in the process. She knew all of the ingredients so there was nothing sneaky. Add or omit any veggies to keep this a positive experience. As your little one becomes comfortable with this meal you can mix it up a bit.

curried tofu sandwiches by rootedvegan.com

8 pieces of whole wheat vegan bread
1 package of firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1/3 c vegan mayo
1/4 c raisins
1 tsp curry powder
2 T fresh peas
1/4 c cashews (chopped for little eaters)
1/2 c of any combo of the following: peppers, carrots, green onion, coconut flakes, celery, etc.)
1 avocado
mixed baby greens
*Optional chutney
While this recipe comes from a need to feed a kid it is also tasty for adults. You do not need kids to enjoy!

1.In a medium bowl combine the tofu, vegan mayo, curry powder and raisins.
2. Fold in the peas, cashews and veggie combo of your choosing.
3. Lay out your bread and make sandwiches. Spread with chutney if using, add avocado, mixed greens and then the tofu mixture.
Enjoy!

Don't forget to enter the giveaway!


curried tofu sandwiches by rootedvegan.com 
~Maria Rose

2 comments:

  1. I like this recipe, especially with the raisins... I never thought of adding raisins to a sandwich mixture before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, it is so good! You could also use dried cranberries, apricots, currants, etc.

    ReplyDelete