My husband and I lived in Denver for several years and while there we discovered the local veg restaurant Watercourse. We loved many of their meals, but we ALWAYS had to have their tomato coconut curry soup. When we left Denver I tried everything in my power to get them to share their recipe, but they wouldn't. So I had to develop my own version. Here is what I came up with and boy-o-boy is it tasty!
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, julienned
14.5 oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
13.66 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 c vegetable broth or water
3/4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp brown sugar
scant pinch of ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt (more if you like)
dash of pepper
1. In a soup pot over medium high heat warm the olive oil
2. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes before adding the carrot.
3. Pour in the tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato sauce, and water or broth. Stir to combine
4. Add everything else and stir to combine.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until the carrot is tender.
Serve hot. I love it with vegan quesadillas (Daiya vegan cheese melted in between some tortillas--outside rubbed with a touch of vegan margarine and warmed in a skillet).
Soup serves 4-6